Updating Unresolved Cross-References
Fixing multiple unresolved cross-references one at a time is frustrating and time consuming. Here are several ways to help you reconnect broken cross-references.
Category: Using FrameMaker
Relevance: All Manuals
Normally, FrameMaker updates all cross-references when you open a document. It also updates all internal cross-references and cross-references to open documents when you print a document. If the document contains unresolved cross-references—cross-references to sources that FrameMaker can’t find—you’ll need to help locate the sources.
FrameMaker does not update cross-references when opening a document in the following circumstances:
- When fonts or dictionaries are missing.
- When opening a document saved with an earlier version of FrameMaker.
- When opening a MIF file.
Occasionally, FrameMaker can’t update a cross-reference for the following reasons:
- The marker or source of the cross-reference has been moved to a different file, or the file itself has been moved or renamed.
- The source has been deleted, or if the source is a paragraph or spot, the marker indicating the source has been deleted.
- The file containing the marker is currently open by someone else on the network server.
- The value for the source element’s ID attribute or the cross-reference’s ID Reference attribute has been changed or deleted. The ID value must be the same at both locations.
Resolve cross-references using the cross-references pod
You can view the list of all unresolved cross-references from the cross-references pod. The pod list area displays the unresolved cross-reference, format of the cross-reference, document name, page number, source document, and the source type. All unresolved cross-references are indicated by a red cross symbol. You can select any cross-reference from the pod list area and the cross-reference is selected in the document.
- Select Unresolved cross-references from the References list box in the cross-references pod.
Generate a list of unresolved cross-references
You can generate a list of unresolved cross-references. The generated list includes the page number of each unresolved cross-reference and indicates whether each missing source is internal (in the current document) or external (in a different document). The list includes additional information—for example, the tag and text of the source paragraph (unstructured documents), or the ID, element tag, and text of the source element (structured documents). The tag and text are not always accurate because they aren’t updated after you initially insert the cross-reference. For spot cross-references, the list includes the marker text.
- Choose Special > List of > References. When prompted, specify whether you want to create the
generated file as a stand-alone document or add it to a book.
- Move Unresolved Cross-Refs to the Include References scroll list, and then click Set.
Resolve a cross-reference when a marker has been moved to another file or the file has been renamed
- Choose Edit > Update References.
- Choose Update Unresolved cross-references from the Commands pop-up menu.
- In the Total of Unresolved cross-references scroll list, select the file that used to contain the source of the unresolved cross-reference. The text below the scroll list indicates how many cross-references
to the selected file are unresolved.
- In the Look In scroll list, select the file that contains the source, and click Open.
If FrameMaker can’t perform the update, select a different file in the Look In scroll list, and try again.
- To resolve cross-references to any other file listed in the Total of Unresolved cross-references scroll list, repeat steps 3 and 4. Then click Done.
Resolve a cross-reference when a marker has been deleted
- Choose Edit > Find/Change.
- Choose Unresolved cross-reference from the Find pop-up menu and click Find. The Find/Change panel finds the first unresolved cross-reference and provides information to help you locate the source.
- Do one of the following:
- If you do not need the cross-reference, delete it.
- If FrameMaker finds an unresolved paragraph cross-reference, double-click the cross-reference to display the cross-reference panel, specify a different source, and click Replace.
- If FrameMaker finds an unresolved spot cross-reference, insert a new cross-reference marker in the appropriate text. Use the same marker text that appears in the Find/Change panel.
Resolve a cross-reference when the ID and ID Reference values do not match (structured documents)
Do one of the following:
- Edit the ID or the ID Reference value so the two values match. ID attribute values are often readonly, so you sometimes have to edit the ID Reference.
- Re-create the cross-reference.